Rahu: Shadow planet
Rahu and Ketu do not have body shapes like other planets in astrology. According to legends, after the churning of the ocean (Samudra Manthan), with many things, came out Amrita. There was a dispute among the Devas and Asuras over its distribution. Lord Vishnu did a trick and managed to have the whole of it consumed by Devas. However, one Asura also hid in the queue and consumed little Amrita, knowing it Lord cut him in two pieces, head part called ‘Rahu’ and remaining body part called ‘Ketu’. In the horoscope, they are always opposite to each other.
Rahu has numerous contradictory interpretations discussed among astrologers, however, few things are common:
- It is a shadow planet without any shape or size. It is a malefic planet and does not rule any sign or house.
- According to some, it is exalted in Taurus and debilitated in Sagittarius, and some it is exalted in Gemini and debilitated in Scorpio.
- Rahu is friend with Mercury, Saturn, Venus, and enemy with Sun, Moon, and Mars.
- It spends 18 months in a zodiac sign and takes 18 years to complete the zodiac cycle. Gemstone is Hassonite or Gomed.
- Is it good or bad is quite a discussion. It is considered good in angular houses i.e. 1, 4, 7, 10; bad in dushsthan i.e. 6, 8, 12.
- How it will behave in kundli primarily depends upon its dispositor placement, aspect, conjunction etc. Dispositor is ruling planet of the sign Rahu is into. It is said that Rahu is good alone without any conjunction. If its dispositor is strong or it is aspected by its dispositor, then it becomes strong in the chart.
- Rahu makes you over-ambitious, gives sudden setbacks, un-diagnosed health problems, loss of reputation-finance; it also represents black magic or evil spirits related issues, manipulative and speculative jobs such as gambling, poisons, drugs, and immoral acts.
- It causes problems in marital relationship if connected to marriage houses (7, 2, 11) or planets.
- Rahu is the favourite planet for politician and diplomats which may give them rise in career.
Ketu: Shadow planet
Same as Rahu, Ketu is also a shadowy, malefic planet always positioned opposite Rahu.